With an enthusiasm for the red wines of Burgundy and confidence in California’s potential for producing world-class wines, Francis & Kathy Mahoney have realized a dream: growing fine Burgundian Pinot Noir in the Northern California soil and climate. On a modest budget, a small, functional winery was built in 1972. Francis knew that his best tool was his palate. Calling on his experience in the cellars of Burgundy, the profile of superb Pinot Noir was in his memory, soon to be expressed at Fleur de California Winery. Veteran Pinot Noir winemaker Ken Foster oversees production at Fleur de California. Foster was Winemaker/Production Manager at David Bruce Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains, California where he held positions in winemaking and production for 15 years. During that period, he helped to convert the focus of the winery from Chardonnay to Pinot Noir, Petite Sirah, and Zinfandel. He helped helped Fleur de California expand their focus to include Petit Sirah.
Fleur de California
At a Glance
- Francis Mahoney, the proprietor ot Fleur de California, is a trailblazer in Carneros. Planting vineyards and starting a winery in the early 1970’s before anyone considered Carneros a quality growing region
- From the early days of Carneros Creek Winery, Francis has made his reputation on producing Pinot Noir in a pretty, pure, and elegant style. A style Fleur de california continues to make today
- Veteran Pinot Noir maker Ken Foster oversees the winemaking and cellar, he came to Fleur de California after a 15 year stint at David Bruce winery
- In addition to Pinot Noir, Fleur de California is also known for their juicy, spicy Petit Sirah and bright, refreshing Vermentino
- Great wines and great value go hand in hand at Fleur de California