As with all good stories, this is really about a love affair. Megan and Ryan Glaab met in Australia working as seasonal cellar hands at Torbreck Winery and went on to create Ryme Cellars. Between the two of them, they have worked at wineries such as Pax Wine Cellars, Peay Vineyards, Sine Qua Non, and Marcassin. Ryme Cellars was started in 2007 with one ton of Aglianico. Excited by the intensity and complexity of this wine, they embarked on producing intriguing wines of varieties that they personally enjoy. They soon made two Vermentinos, Ribolla Gialla, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Aglianico. In 2011 they wanted to expand production to include some great Sonoma County Chadonnay and Pinot Noir vineyards as a compliment to the more esoteric offerings in the portfolio. With Ryme Megan and Ryan aspire to make honest and expressive wines that exhibit the characteristics of the variety and place from which it comes.
At a Glance
- Ryame Cellars is a creation of Megan and Ryan Glaab who met in the cellars of Torbreck Winery in Australia
- Ryme is unique in that they focus on mainly Italian varietals – Vermentino (His and Hers!), Aglianico, Ribolla Gialla, Fiano – but also make Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- The premise behind the winemaking at Ryme is to make wines of character and balance that taste great on their own, but also pair well with food. Wines that are meant to be drunk and enjoyed
- The wines come from conscientiously farmed organic or sustainable vineyards, and are produced according to simple methods. The wines are always encouraged, never controlled.
- Ryme uses no cultured yeast, no temperature control, no enzymes or adulterants, nevert fine or filter, and The wines are raised in used French oak barriques between 2 and 10 years old